Occupational safety: Safe work practices, every day
A well-thought-out risk management plan tailored to the needs of your company can help ensure that your workers can perform their assigned duties safely, at all times. By focusing on hazard prevention, the risk of occupational accidents will be minimised.
Prevention helps reduce the number and severity of workplace accidents
It is a sad fact, but several people in the Belgian private sector fall victim to workplace accidents each day. Some figures from Fedris, the federal agency for occupational risks:
- In 2016, the downward trend from previous years came to a halt: a total of 142,229 incidents were officially reported. There was an increase of 2,95% in the number of workplace accidents and an increase of 3,65% in the number of accidents on the way to and from work.
- The percentage of occupational accidents leading to permanent incapacity to work now sits just above 10%. A total of 66 fatal incidents were recorded (0.1%).
Examine the circumstances and get more insight
In the event that an occupational accident occurs, the employer is legally required to have the circumstances of the accident thoroughly and methodically examined by a prevention advisor. This will help the employer gain insight into the causes and impact of the incident and will allow for a number of measures to be implemented to prevent such incidents from reoccurring.
Mensura will advise you
- Small changes can substantially reduce the risk of workplace accidents.
Quick and easy changes such as greater attention to neatness in the workplace can make a big difference.
- A proper risk assessment programme helps you detect potentially hazardous situations in a timely manner. By analysing near-misses and first-aid incidents, you can reveal root causes and implement changes to prevent recurrence.
- Good communication with your employees is essential if you wish to implement effective prevention measures.
Safe work practices largely rely on the right attitude of employees towards safety and incident prevention. By discussing safety with all parties involved, you will gain better insights more easily.
- A policy of prevention often goes hand in hand with a process of change.
Keeping your employees well informed about potential workplace hazards is of the utmost importance if you want them to embrace and observe the measures implemented, even when those measures may slow down work or require more discipline.
Fewer occupational accidents and fewer employees who are absent due to temporary or permanent incapacity to work.
A systematic and effective prevention policy in conformity with legal regulations
In addition to the analysis of occupational accidents, Mensura can help you develop a global and annual prevention plan and perform general or job-specific risk assessments as well as hazard assessments in view of electrical installations, fire prevention and explosive atmospheres. Mensura also provides assistance, professional guidance and coaching for internal prevention advisors.
Advice and recommendations when new or heavily modified machinery is introduced to the market or on the workfloor.
Mensura will train your employees
Occupational safety begins with the prevention advisor, the purchasing department and the employees having the right knowledge about the work environment and the equipment and materials used.
Training courses on occupational safety
Mensura will inspire you
Don’t miss any updates! Register now for our monthly newsletter.
Occupational safety: data as a key to zero incidents in the workplace at ArcelorMittal Tailored Blanks Genk